Thursday, April 7, 2011

Opening Day in Baltimore

On Monday, I was lucky enough to get to photograph my first Oriole's Opening Day game. Ok, so it was just the Home Opener, but it was still an opener. As 'lucky' as I was for being able to shoot it, the entire day was completely unlucky (photography wise)......minus one moment, I suppose.

For the second straight year, I was almost ended by a foul ball. This year, it was off the bat of Brian Roberts. Although, I'm determined that he was meant to injure somebody on that day. Anyway, he drilled a ball RIGHT at me, and i'm not exactly sure where it hit on the net in front of me, but I'm guessing if it were about 4 inches higher, it would have hit me right in the heart. Let's just say, those moments raise your awareness a little. But, Brian also let go of his bat earlier in the game and it flew in to the stands. Both of these occurrences are featured in my slideshow. The foul ball has two frames (the second being a little more difficult to see the ball).

A lot of cool things happened before and during the game. Earl Weaver threw out the first pitch, which was a pretty cool moment. The intros were awesome. The O's won! But, the unlucky part of the day....was all the action I was trying to get! Every single time I had something lined up, I either had a coach, an umpire, another player, or another photographer in my way. I've never been so frustrated in my life. I was able to capture a few decent shots, but definitely not the action I was hoping for. I'm shooting in Baltimore again on Sunday, so hopefully I'll have less of a crowd to fight with, and a better chance at getting some decent photos.

Meanwhile, check these out and let me know what you like!

A few notes. I liked frame 3 enough to keep it in, even though the ball girl messed it up. Again, every opportunity....

Frame 4 is Jose Valverde being a jokester. He put a Rhymes jersey on the bat boy and told him to go take bp because nobody would know the difference. Rhymes is about 5'9 165 lbs....so it was a little exaggeration, but it was funny. I did take it upon myself to say to Jose, "I think the kid is too big!" He laughed. :)

Frame 8.......I must have been doing something interesting.

Frames 23-25.....some stupid idiot thought it would be funny to jump onto the field and run around for a few minutes. He thought he'd be able to exit through the grounds crew's door, but little did he know that they are trained to lock that door when something like that happens. He fell down like his bones melted when he realized he was stuck. It was actually a good plan because it prevented him from being tazed. Shucks.


1 comment:

  1. You're generating some good work Evan! Way to keep an eye off field too (although you maybe were forced there). Nice DP in the previous set, and I really like your shot of Earl, here tossing out the first pitch.
    Your Lax is looking good as well, that was a ton of lax in one day. #6 in the Red vs. Hoos & #7 in Hoplins vs. UMBC are sick. Those are tough shots, so fast, you're lucky if you get ball, hardly ever perfect.
    Keep an eye out for your use of vivid/saturation. It can really wig out reds & oranges, especially in direct sun. I continue to learn it the hard way.
    Oh & a really like the O's #18, I appreciate how tough that is to time. & good detail in #4 Mets @ Phillies. I love that symmetry, it's kind of hypnotizing.

    ReplyDelete